T5S5 - Diversity and inclusion
Diversity, equity and inclusion are important – but how do you make L&D’s work in this field effective? In this panel we examine the evidence of what works, and where common strategies are ineffective or even harmful. Knowledgeable practitioners, led by expert Melissa Sabella, will focus on developing behaviours for inclusion, sharing both hard evidence, and their own experiences of what has worked and what hasn’t.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - what we get wrong and how to get it right
We hear a lot about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion but we haven’t made nearly as much progress as we need to. Too many of our attempts to fix it have little to no impact and sometimes even cause harm.
Why is that? Because the right thing to do is often not intuitive and doesn’t always feel good. In this panel discussion we’ll look at the interventions that research tells us have the most impact and explain why the things that most organisations are doing don’t work, so you can deliver transformative change.
· The risks of doing unconscious bias training - why one of the most common diversity training programmes can cause harm
· Why your programmes to develop people in excluded groups might be focusing in the wrong places and training them out of their most valuable skills
· Why recruitment should be the last thing you focus on
· The key behaviours to focus on developing inclusion every level and how many people need to take action to make a difference
· How to look after the people in your organisation taking on this work on top of their day jobs so you don’t lose them